Friday, January 20, 2012

The Ordinary

So, it has been a while since I last posted. I have been trying to think about what to write about as life in my running world has been pretty uneventful. Ben is still injured and we had to withdraw from a marathon this weekend for many reasons, including the injury (turns out, it is good we are in town this weekend as there is a memorial service for a friend of ours tomorrow!). I continue to train for the next race (half marathon in April, full in May). We have been looking at 50 milers and trying to make a decision about which one to do. Apart from that, there is not a whole lot new going on.
As I was thinking about this last night during my dark run home from meeting a friend to do a few miles with her, I could not help but think about how much beauty is in the ordinary of every day running. It can be easy to get bored when working towards a goal that seems so far off, but it is in these silent moments that I am reminded me that there is nothing wrong with ordinary!  The fact that I get to put on running shoes and just go is amazing and extraordinary. The exhilaration after most runs (we all have our bad days!) is simply incredible. It is in the ordinary that we see results and are reminded of why we run. It can be so easy to focus on goals that we forget the days where we try to slow down and consistently being faster than normal. There is nothing ordinary in getting home from a run with the dog and seeing him almost instantly go to sleep. It is extraordinary to continue to see friends motivated to run, even when life gets tough.
It is in the ordinary, simple, nothing huge runs that makes us stronger as runners and as people. So, even though running might seem boring or ordinary, I will keep on going and will continue to find joy in the little things and in the time of growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment